Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pinterest Project - Door Hanger

Pin It Back again! Summer has flown by already - hopefully July slows down. One of the Pinterest projects for this summer was making a door hanger for our front door at our new house! Our front door is in our enclosed porch so we don't have worry about the elements on our pretty new hanger - so I got to be a little more free in our decor choices. Here is a link to the original idea (in case you'd rather just buy one!).

Total Project Cost: $25 (I was at my parents so I had to buy everything new)

  • Letters: 3 @ $3 each
  • Flowers: 2 for $5
  • Pearls: $2
  • Paint: 3 @ .60 each
  • Brushes: $5

Here is my how-to:

First I laid out all of my supplies to decide how I wanted it to look. I thought about making it a typical monogram, but it was going to be hard to put it together, so I settled on this instead.


I painted the all of the letters grey, but not on the edges.


After it dried I used painter's tape and painted the opposite letter to create the striped effect. After this was finished I put the contrasting color on the edges.
I wanted to use a hot glue gun to put it all together, but all my mom couldn't find it so I settled for gorilla glue. Again I used painter's tape to hold all the pieces together while the glue dried.
Once that was dried I put on the embellishments with more gorilla glue.
Add some string to hang it by (again with gorilla glue - working with limited supplies!) and voila! You have it!



My mom already wants me to make her one for Christmas! Maybe I've started something! :) I'd love to find the big letters like the Pinterest inspiration had though for next time - but I do like the contrasting 3D vibe of mine. These are the primary colors I want to work with in our house. What do you think?
Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment